Sunday, February 16, 2014

Romance

I've been meaning to write a post about pregnancy...how I'm feeling, cravings, changes, etc.  But instead I caught the plague and decided sleeping, blowing my nose raw, and catching up on Hulu sounded like a better plan.  I'm still feeling pretty crummy, but with it being nearly 70 degrees and sunny outside today (thank you Colorado!), I dragged my butt out of bed and went with my husband to pick up a few groceries.  The front section of the grocery store was a sea of red and pink...roses and balloons...chocolates and cupcakes.  All discounted to try and get rid of the leftovers from the day of love.  It was seriously like Valentine's day threw up all over the front of the store! 

It got me thinking...about romance. 

My first Valentine's day as a married woman was well...not one for the memory books.  My husband picked up a few little things and a card the night before while out helping his 14 year old son grab something for his girl friend.  I was sick in bed most of the day.  Our dinner was Burger King eaten in bed while watching Hulu before Glenn left to cheer on the high school basketball game. 

Yes - I did get him a duck dynasty cup.

SUPER romantic folks!!

But what is romance?

The dictionary defines romantic as: of, relating to, or involving love between two people

I think my disappointment came not because of the events of February 14th, but because of the way I was viewing love. 

Love is patient - it pulls over on the side of the road after a long day at work and waits until I decide what I want for dinner and then turns around to go get it.

Love is kind - it makes biscuits at 8:45 at night


His first attempt at using my biscuit recipe.  Guy done good!
It does not envy - instead of being jealous that I'm lounging in bed, it does the dishes

It does not boast - it says he's not a hero even though he's definitely my hero for working hard to fix the leaky faucets
The Super definitely applies!

It is not proud - instead it cleans the toilets so I don't have to

You get the idea. 

I am loved in so many tangible ways - big and small - every day. 
Who needs Valentine's Day when flowers surprise me on a regular basis?

Would a preplanned romantic night be exciting every once in a while.  Of course! 
The man can be pretty romantic...! (the night we got engaged)

But I don't need a holiday to know I'm loved by my wonderful hero of a husband. 

Blessed

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post (and good on you for looking at things from your Martian's point of view, you Venusian, you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His instinct is to serve in all those little ways and more. It's not flashy, but it's constant and infused with love.

    ReplyDelete